Monday, October 8, 2012

My Workout - Yoga for Beginners

When most guys hear "Yoga", they get this mental image of a bunch of hippies all sitting around, wearing unusual looking clothing and doing odd body poses looking for their "inner peace".  While Yoga for many is a spiritual endeavor as well as a physical one, it is also a great way to mix up your workout routine and add some flexibility back into your life.

How many of you have lower back problems? Yeah, I know, all of you. OK, Personal story time. A few years ago I really messed up my back shoveling snow from the roof of my house one winter. My chiropractor had a hard time adjusting me and finally sent me for x-rays that revealed the issue. See the image after the jump.





Yeah, I messed it up good. After my chiropractor fixed me up she suggested I try Yoga to gain flexibility to my leg and back muscles and adding strength to both to better support the spine. So I gave it a try. Its been 2 years and I haven't been back to see the doctor since!

I started with a video my wife had but it wasn't for me. I found a video by Rodney Yee simply called "Yoga for Beginners". It has two slow paced workouts that focus on stretching and strengthening your muscles. Since many of you are new to Yoga, there is also a pose guide you should sit an watch before you start a workout. Yes, you will need to go buy a Yoga mat.

Start slow and over time you will build better flexibility and strength into your entire body. Hopefully your back doesn't look like mine did when you start but if you have any pain in your lower back, I suggest giving it a try.

Additionally, I perform Yoga stretches after a heavy workout or cardio session to give all the muscles a good stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment